Sunday 24 June 2007

Tomorrow.

Hey party people. well that whole "taking attendance" idea failed spectacularly didn't it? Or perhaps I only have one reader? I actually know that's not true. Well Tommie's away for a few days with her mum so I'm a lonely lump of coldness tonight. I finished work tres early because we finished the job I was on (when I say we clearly I mean me - I am the survey queen, I challenge you to say no to my dulcet tones). Which meant I could technically have done something today. Due to a wallet displacement issue (which will be rectified soon) I have about $11.45 in my possession so exciting stuff is out. I was going to continue reading "The Portrait of a Lady" which I'm reading for a subject next semester. I'm only about 10o pages in but it seems ok so far. As with all classics of its ilk the author seems obsessed with describing the heroine in excruciating detail. The heroine is of course not conventionally attractive, not the prettiest sister (as people constantly remark) but she catches some dashing lord's fancy. So I was going to continue reading but I didn't because I'm rubbish. Instead I lay in bed fully clothed (including ugg boots) covered in doona and blanket with a scarf wrapped around my head (my nose was cold) with only my eyes and hands exposed to the cold, and watched the Colbert Report and The Daily Show. Seriously, why did I have to decide to start watching two four days a week shows? It is no good for my net quota.

I was going to talk about work but I have spent too much time there recently to think about it now. Instead I'm going to talk about dream jobs. Seriously, pretty much every time I work I realise that I really must get qualified and get a real job that I actually enjoy. Obviously teaching is still up there. In one of my lectures the lecturer showed some footage of teaching in American high schools and I had a sudden rush, kind of like what I get when someone is saying something I disagree with and I realise I know just what to say. Not that I'd know what to do in a rough American high school but, I have ideas. But aside from teaching i have two other contenders - the unrealistic type. One is writing for Rolling Stone. This is because I'd get to write about the music stuff and the world issues stuff. Which is the fantastic thing about Rolling Stone. Of course I think it's a well established fact that the magazine format is on the way out and I know nothing technical about music. It's also possible that I've just watched Almost Famous too many times. The other option is being a Speech Writer. I think I have an ok way with words, and I've always been better at non fiction stuff. I write ok essays. It would be totally cool to think that it was your words that helped get someone elected. Of course the real stumbling block is who that someone could be. I don't think there's anyone in politics these days I could get that excited about. Certainly not Rudd. Also the real real stumbling block is I have no idea how someone becomes a speech writer. There's also the concern that I just watch too much West Wing and Jed Bartletts don't really exist.

What all, of this amounts to is that I think I'm going to do some kind of writing subject next year. Because of the trip I want to go on I think I'll have room. It will probably be horrible. But I think the fact that things I want to do in life keep coming back to writing is probably telling me something. Also it will add to my HECS debt for no real reason. I can just imagine what AP's dad would say!

1 comment:

Angie said...

Here! Just lacking the net, so I'm back in the OC. Lying in bed on the net is tops.