Wednesday 21 February 2007

The in-betweens I never understood.

I'm really enjoying uni so far - sure, it hasn't technically even started yet but it’s never too early to be positive, right? O week is very different to I thought it would be, very low key and much less drunkenness. I suppose that happens on Societies Day though, which is tomorrow. Today I went to info sessions about my subjects. I'm a bit undecided about whether I've picked the right subject for Sociology, the lecturer for the other one seems a bit better. However, I was flicking through the reader for the one I'm enrolled in (Media, Politics and Society) and it had a bit about "Blogs of War" which sounds seriously cool and current. I've met some nice people too. it's much easier to meet people when you have real incentive, for example when you really don't know anyone in the room. I ended up going to the Linguistics session even though I'm not doing it because I was with a new friend from a few days ago. So I hung out with T there (once I explained why I was there) and then stayed for her Italian one. When they started dividing the class into skill groups I had a wussy change of heart and left.

I keep seeing things that remind me of Viet Nam. There are quite a few Vietnamese Restaurants here and on my tram home from work last night I glanced through the window of one and saw a lady serving wearing the traditional hot weather clothing - pyjamas. It's been hot here for what seems like week, people keep saying it's humid but it really isn't (yes, I did go on a gap year so I am legally better than you!). I also keep seeing red-headed girls riding bikes in sundresses and thinking their Hannah, which is bizarre. The other day I went into STA Travel and Flight Centre to see how much flights to Nam would cost, for winter (southern hemisphere) time and sadly they were as I expected. It was fun to pretend I was actually thinking about it. I highly recommend travel agent visiting as a cheap alternative to actual travel.

So tonight I have a date (well no one's called it that but what else is it?) which is a bit exciting. We’re going to see Dream Girls... The obvious problem with this is there are lots of beautiful girls in it but it's my own fault, I told him to pick. I wanted to suggest Music and Lyrics but I didn't want him to think I was a dork. And I have nothing to wear... obviously. And no idea what to say. Or...

No comments: