Monday 14 May 2007

Instant Memory Trigger System

Well, I had my dinner and T's at the gym. No one is on MSN and I only have three lots of reading to do. So here I am again. I'm really terribly good at being inconsistent. So I thought I'd let you in on some other musings. How incredibly exciting for you.

Primarily an incomplete list of things that remind me of 'Nam
(and yes I know, the going on about Vietnam has stopped being cute {if indeed it ever was} and become boring but hey, get over it.)

*The Arctic Monkeys (particularly the line from Fake Tales of San Francisco about "weekend rockstars in the toilets praticing their lines" because I always felt like a fake teacher on Sundays when I was putting off writing lesson plans) The Spice Girls, "Oops I Did It Again", the cover of The Ben Folds Five album, "Six Months on a Leaky Boat", Belle and Sebastian, Dido
*Chillies and garlic in seperate containers
*Humid weather (when you have to suck the air in), heavy rain (when it lands in fat drops but you don't really care because you aren't cold)
*Redheads at a distance (especially when they have long curly hair or short shoulder length hair)
*Motorbikes and scooters and bikes
*Cute asian boys with dyed blonde hair and just-pressed clothes
*Cracked footpaths
*Sentences that begin "I think maybe..." (I invariably laugh)
*The hammer and sickle

It's incredible I (basically) function on a daily basis. This list is getting shorter, which is a good thing. You atatch new memories to things as time passes. In the end it's just those little feelings, tastes and sounds that do it for me. There's a lovely section in Feeling Sorry for Celia where she talks about the Instant Memory Trigger System (or something like that). My IMTS is in top working order. Certainly not just about 'Nam. There's a horse and hay smell which always reminds me of trying to get on to Molly (my first horse) bareback, and failing. Plastic moulded chairs will always remind me of college. The shampoo that I'm using at the moment, crazily reminded me of Angie til I realised that that was because she was the one who said it was good, as she used it. Little Things by Good Charlotte (how embarassing) will always remind me of: my first boyfriend singing it on the phone, how horrid high school is and Mjec grining and calling it "the true loser anthem" (which I believe he meant as a compliment).

No comments: