Sunday 22 April 2007

I can't believe they never wrote a folk song about that...

Last night, when I was trying to get to sleep I had a great idea for a blog title. I remember thinking it was just perfect. Of course now I can't remember it. It's incredibly frustrating. It was probably musical... Anyway. I was really looking forward to today because I've been doing Uni work (that is admin stuff at uni, not assignments) and actual work pretty much all day Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Yesterday I did a double shift and it was just horrid. I was on an incredibly boring survey. I've done it so many times my brain kind of disconnects from the proccess and I enter a weird mental state. So I was really looking forward to having a 'day off', even though I had an assignment to start. So first I slept in til ten thirty, which was great because I haven't had enough sleep in a while. Then I did shower stuff and breakfast stuff. I listened to Insiders because I'm that kind of a girl, and read the paper. I started doing my assignment (philosophy) but was mostly listening to the radio. Then T came back (that's right she had finished her shift at work) and I felt incredibly lazy. She needed to take something to her boss at work and I came along (lured by the promise of a free coffee). So we did that, defrauding the Vistorian Government of tram revenue along the way. I then started the assignment. I've written six hundred words fairly painlessly but I think I need to use some sources and stop with the "many people have argued" and "some liberal philosophers have contended". I also should stop over using the word contend. My soc. lecturer needs to stop saying "critiqued" and "problematize" and "unpack", I mean, is the second actually a word at all? I'm unconvinced. But yes, assignment. I'm basically trashing the Universal Declaration of Human Rights which is new for me being the UN lover that I am. I'm feeling quite fired up about it, which I think is half the battle with Philosophy. Yay for a narrower definition of human rights!!! Ok, I remembered the Perfect Blog Title. It's from the West Wing, when Sam explains he's working to stop multinational companies getting sued when their oil carrying ships break and pollute the water. Then Josh says, well, you can read the title. I actually thought about it yesterday when I was doing that damn survey for "a major financial institution". It also works for arguing for a narrower definition of human rights, I suppose. But really that is actually I igood idea, but John Butler probably wouldn't get it. While I remember, can someone explain what a split infinitive is? So after typing for a while I got bored. I played a bit of solitaire. I'm really no good at it at all. Then I resorted to the TV (T had gone out) and watched an episode of Gilmore Girls which only served to make me disgusted at my self for watching daytime TV. So now I am here. Next I think I will have a shower and formulate an essay plan. I always have such high aims for my showers but when I get out I've forgotten to think about whatever and to shave my legs.

1 comment:

mjec said...

Ok, so, a few things. First, just got back from UNYA, used the pocket UN charter you got me, it roxors my boxors. z. whatver.

Split infinitive... well, you know the infinitive tense of verbs? It's the "to" form - so "to go" is the infinitive form. It's kinda timeless, in that it doesn't have tense really. Well, in English, we create an infinitive by "to [3rd pl]". Splitting an infinitive is placing the adjective between the "to" and the verb itself. The most famous example is "to boldy go"; it should be "to go boldly".

As of the latest OED, which is WRONG by the way, split infinitives are no longer poor grammar. But don't use them, because otherwise you're crap. So :P.

I clearly, clearly need sleep. And less girlfriend angst, but we can deal with the latter later.