Wednesday 25 April 2007

Happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat

So I'm trying to be good and post more regularly. Also T's away and I'm bored. I watched Secretary tonight, it was actually quite good. Not one to watch with the parents though. It was funny though, because the packaging was all "RAWR!!! SEX!!!" (which was clearly what attracted me to it! Actually T has it and I was as I said, bored) but the movie was really quite deep. The picture they used for the front of the DVD never even took place in the movie. There was spanking though, and a dead worm in an envelope, and typewriters. What more would one want? It has that guy from Boston Legal and Maggie, sister of Jake with the annoying last name, in it. I also rewatched Notting Hill which just made me feel sad. Mostly the whole single and alone thing but it's so English. I miss Englishness.

So, Anzac Day tomorrow. I actually heard someone saying that it was great because it meant they could go out tonight. There are times I feel like I'm so incredibly different to other people my age... I mean, I'm not a big war fan but you've got to admire someone willing to die for their country, surely? Sometimes I worry that I'm just anti war because I wouldn't what myself or anyone I know to have to do that. Anyway, what's so great about going out on a Tuesday? My exciting plans involve writing my philosophy essay tomorrow. I am going to see some comedy on Saturday and then to a birthday party so you mustn't give up hope for my social life and "normal ness".

So yes, ANZACness got me thinking about random stuff. On a similar random note, I got into a strange train of thought in the supermarket (while looking for TVP of all things) about the whole concept of International Food. It's funny cause there's also an Asian section and well, surely only bush tucker and such isn't International Food in Australia. Yes quite a random thought, I know, and I didn't find the TVP. The other thought was about how in Primary School we were always told that if the French had settled Tasmania first we'd all be speaking French. the way the teacher said it made me think that this would be a really Bad Thing. The same thing was said about World War Two. That if we hadn't held off the Japanese on The Kokoda Trail we'd all be speaking Japanese. As if the problem was the language we'd be speaking never mind the fact that you really didn't want to have anything to do with WWII Japan. I realise now that these concepts made me think that Japanese, French and German (always an easy enemy) were in somehow languages to avoid. Bizare really.

No comments: