Wednesday 27 February 2008

Synchronicity

It is actually quite tempting to not post until tomorrow so that it's exactly a month since my last entry. It is this kind of thinking that had me rather unquestioningly supporting Hillary for prez (come on the synchronicity: Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton). It's also why I like even numbers more than odd, they are much more ordered and neat. When I was about 10 (maybe... I have no idea really) I had a book called Awaiting Developments which I loved deeply. It was actually a really odd book about a girl who had a fascination with counting things out, she'd always count her footsteps etc. and it would have to be a certain amount. I am not quite that far gone, luckily. The actual plot was about an old house with a garden being turned into a block of flats. I still remember there was a line in it about her brother being able to spit a watermelon pip at the fence of their garden from the kitchen window and that maybe this said more about her brother than the distance to the fence. This really isn't an important line so I have no idea why I can still remember it. I always assumed that the whole craving patterns and order thing was normal, just as I've always assumed everyone really wants to be a writer... Though I hear some people don't (although I don't really believe them, you get to show people a whole new world, one of your creation. You could justifiably strut about the house wearing a shawl and glasses with a cup of earl grey clasped in your hands and a wistful expression: this would be work!). Perhaps some people like the number... 17 or something ridiculous. People is this world have some crazy ideas. Of course humans are not simple so despite the craving of order my room is invariably messy. This is because I am lazy, mostly. Also, I really enjoy putting on a good dvd/podcast and putting it all in order. I am indeed an Odd Girl.

So I've had a word document open for ages with "Smart Kids" because I apparently was going to impart my thoughts on this topic. I think the general point was that smart kids are bloody annoying. I was never a really a smart kid. I am a pretty slow learner and in kindergarten I still couldn't remember the alphabet (and was terrified that this would be discovered). In Prep I had a disastrously bad teacher called Mrs. Tomao who had a mass of curly hair and a very red face. Unsurprisingly we used to call her Mrs. Tomato. I remember making a lot of things out of cardboard boxes. Apparently she forgot to teach us anything because she was going through a divorce. And even with an overly intensive Grade 1 (with the terrifying Mrs. Forster) I wasn't really into reading. In fact in grade 2 my father was summoned to school to be told I really wasn't reading at the level I should have been. Of course after this I became crezily into books. But even then I never thought reading meant I was that clever, the way that kids acted about it made me think it was a bad thing and when adults said it was a good thing I didn't really believe them. So no I wasn't a Smart Kid, I was much more a Luna than a Hermione. It wasn't til later high school that my reading meant that I knew things. In primary school it just taught me how to go off into an other world. Generally not a completely different world (no dragons) just a little bit different. My memories of Monday mornings before school a filled with dad telling me to quit day dreaming.

So tell me about you. Favourite number? Wannabe writer? Luna or Hermione? (Or who knows, Neville!).

3 comments:

mjec said...

You know, I can't remember if Neville ends up with Luna in the books or if that's just some random bit of fic I read once.

See, this is MY little quirk. I can't tell the difference between reality and fantasy.

Also, saying cannon is reality and fic fantasy is probably a bit sad too.

Angie said...

56 is the coolest number. because 56=7x8. Though I've probably already told you that. I love patterns. And I reckon I'm more of a Hermione, given my unfortunate tendancy to tell people everything I know. But you already knew that too.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Impressora e Multifuncional, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://impressora-multifuncional.blogspot.com. A hug.