Sunday 6 January 2008

I am open minded, if by open you mean closed.

The level to which I can NOT cope with uncertainty is quite ridiculous. I like to believe that this is due to my independent and forward thinking attitude and not because I am a crazy person. Clearly the latter is true. The fact that I even vaguely function in society is astounding. See, I thought one of my housemates was getting home today so whenever I left the house today I left her little notes saying where I was/when I'd be back. Each time I'd have this massive internal debate about whether a note was required. But she still isn't here so I think she must have got the day wrong...? Anyway, increasingly irrational thoughts followed to the affect that she'd clearly decided not to come home because she finds me annoying. So irrational.

Anyway. Christmas was nice. I don't think I'll recap much because anyone who's reading this already knows the details or is able to ask if they want to know. It was a very secular holiday for me this year which I consider A Good Thing. Falls was also enjoyable, although less great at times. Damn other people messing up my plans/event. What really annoys me at Falls is that it's not considered okay to do anything alone. The only child in me really enjoys being able to do stuff without running it past the committee of people I'm with, I am quite happy getting some food by myself, you needn't look at me in a way implies that you are shocked and horrified by my loner-dom. Humph.

Anyway moving off the "What I Did Over My Summer Holidays" theme to the the "Stuff that I Thought" theme.

I pride myself on my ability to be able to see both sides of an argument (Thank you Mr. Martin, debating teacher to the stars). However, more and more I find myself simply unable to deal with people who hold different opinions to me on some things. I can't respect them, I can't focus on the things we have in common, I even find sometimes I can't argue with them. It's as if I get some kind of error message telling me our brains are running on different software (I know this is a stupid analogy and I'm embarrassed about it already). This really bothers me because I think understanding is important. I believe in negotiating. And negotiating only works if you can try and find common ground with those who seemingly you don't have any with. I don't know why this is, maybe I feel more confident in my beliefs now? I have become more liberal towards things in recent years (what with no longer be a stupid 16 year old [and now being a stupid twenty year old]. Whenever I feel like just yelling at someone that they are stupid I have this image of my mother poking me with a stick and casting her guilt eyes of motherly doom on me while saying "be understanding, show some empathy". This is Very Concerning. In an attempt to reduce the ridiculous vagueness of this point let me tell you (dear reader) that I find it difficult to cope with people who: are "pro-life", pro death penalty (and so often both at once! Stupid people why must you torment me!?), anti gay marriage, people who believe climate change is influenced by humans and that we can save the world through a reliance on coal technologies (Mr. Giuliani, I am looking at you), people who think that you should choose what degree you do at uni based on how much money you could earn... etc.

No comments: